Social Security Disability Insurance

When you are disabled due to a serious injury or long-term illness, the Social Security Administration offers benefit programs to help you. The two main types of coverage are Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSDI is available to you if you have worked a certain amount of years and have paid your Social Security taxes.

Although you may have enough work credit and years of paying taxes to receive SSDI, another part of proving your case is to show that you do indeed have an injury or health condition that prevents you from working and providing for yourself and your loved ones. If you suffer from a long-term disability and need help in filing for SSDI, you should contact an Indiana long-term disability lawyer from Hankey Law Office, today at (800) 520-3633.

What is a Long Term Disability?

When the Social Security Administration, or SSA, examines your long term disability case, they will ask many questions and check your medical records to see if your health condition truly prevents you from working. However, if your illness or injury does inhibit you from working, it must be expected to last at least a year or end in death in order for it to be a long term disability.

The Benefits of SSDI

If you are the main provider for your family, a long-term disability can affect more than just you. Thus, one of the major benefits of SSDI is that it can help pay for your dependents as well. The amount of benefits that you receive will depend on your lifetime earnings up until the start of the illness or time of injury.

Additionally, this can extend to any adult children that you have who sustained a disability before the age of 22.

Contact Us

Suffering from a long term disability can be especially difficult because you no longer have a source of income to help pay for your medical bills. For help in gaining the long term disability coverage that you need, contact an Indiana long term disability attorney from Hankey Law Office, at (800) 520-3633 to discuss your case.