I have a disability, but I’m too young to have built up a disability record. Can I still qualify for SSDI?

Normally, there are some complications that may arise if a child turns 18-years-old, but is unable to work due to a disability. Because these individuals haven’t built up sufficient credits to be insured by the SSDI program, they may need to consider whether there is another Social Security program, such as the SSI program, that could help them or if they qualify under their parents’ record. If they have a parent receiving benefits or who has passed away, but built up enough credits to be considered insured, that child may apply for benefits on the parent’s record.

If you have questions or concerns about your eligibility into a government disability program such as SSDI or SSI, we may be able to help you. For a free consultation regarding your options, contact a lawyer from Hankey Law Office, by calling (800) 520-3633.