Can I receive SSDI coverage if I’m overseas?

The Social Security Administration considers someone to be out of the country legally if they haven’t been within the 50 states or American territories within at least 30 days. Once out of the country, most benefits recipients can continue to receive the disability coverage. However, the government cannot send benefits to certain countries, including Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and certain former Soviet satellites.

If you’re not sure about how your disability benefits will work if you need to leave the country for an extended period of time, we may be able to help you determine how this travel will affect your disability coverage. To learn more about our full range of legal services, contact an attorney from Hankey Law Office, today at (800) 520-3633.