Social Security to phase out paper checks

Starting next March, all government benefit payments will be disbursed electronically. The transition has already been in the works for months. Electronic disbursement will replace individually mailed checks, saving on paper costs.

Beneficiaries will have the option to have their funds deposited directly into their bank accounts or onto debit cards they will receive.

While 90% of beneficiaries already receive their benefits electronically, many of the remaining 10% are elderly or disabled people who may have trouble adjusting to the new technologies. There is concern that many of them will lose track of their finances if they don’t receive physical checks. By next March, all beneficiaries will have to switch to electronic statements unless they receive a special waiver.

If you need Social Security benefits, the Indiana Social Security disability lawyers of the Hankey Law Office, can help you. Contact our experienced attorneys at (800) 520-3633 to learn more.